Exterior Parts of a Double-Hung Window
- Frame A window frame is the framework that surrounds and supports the entire window system. …
- Head The head is the main horizontal part forming the top of the window frame.
- Jambs Jambs are the main vertical parts forming the sides of a window frame.
- Sill A sill is the main horizontal part forming the bottom of the frame of a window.
Window Anatomy | Ask Kevin | Ask This Old House
Window Anatomy – Parts of a Window: Terms and Definitions
Double Hung Windows – Parts and Anatomy Overview
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the 5 parts of a window?
Parts of a Double-Hung Window
- Frame. The framework that surrounds and supports the entire window system, which is comprised of the head, jamb, and sill.
- Glass. The framed sheet of glass within a window frame.
- Head. The main horizontal part that forms the top of the window frame.
- Jambs. ...
- Sill. ...
- Jambliner. ...
- Sash. ...
What are the parts of a window?
Parts of a window frame
- Head Jamb. The head jamb is the top component of the frame.
- Side Jamb. Side jambs are the vertical components of the frame.
- Sill. The sill is the bottom component of the frame. ...
- Jamb Liner. ...
- Jamb Extension. ...
- Operating Handle. ...
- Operating Arm. ...
- Locking Handle.
What are the things in front of windows called?
Sash: The movable part of the window; the framework that holds the glass in place. Sill: A piece that runs along the base of the window frame. Stile: The vertical part of a sash.
What are the main parts of a window?
The window frame is the enclosure that holds the main parts of a window—called window sashes—in place. Window sashes may be fixed or operable. ... Window frames and sashes are made from a variety of materials, including wood, aluminum, vinyl, steel, or wood-clad vinyl or aluminum.
What are the different parts of the exterior of a house?
Here are a few features that relate to them. An apron is a decorative trim beneath a window and against the siding. A window grid is created by materials laid within the glass of a window to create the look of multiple panes. Grids can also be placed on the exterior of a window.
What are the different types of window panes?
Hollow Glass: Window panes made of hollow glass. Pane: A sheet of glass in a window. Spacer: An insulating glass unit typically made of aluminium that’s sealed between two glass layers and keep glass panes apart. Meeting Rail: The horizontal rail of a sash that meets the rail of the other sash when the window is closed.