You can make any shade lighter with a process called tinting. To make a color lighter, you can add white paint to soften the shade. Mix in small quantities of white at a time so that you don’t overdo it.
How to Make Paint a Shade or Two Lighter
- Step 1. Read the labels on your existing paint can or tube to ascertain the make and kind of your paint. Try to find…
- Step 2. Measure 10 percent of the volume of paint you already have in white. If you are painting a wall, and have a 1…
- Step 3. Pour the white paint into your paint can and mix well with the mixing stick. If you…
Painting Hack: Light Colours Over Dark Surfaces | Fusion™ Mineral Paint
How To Mix Paint Colors – Color Mixing Tutorial – Tints, Tones, Shades and Hues
Mixing different color paint together
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you make paint a shade lighter?
You can make any shade lighter with a process called tinting. To make a color lighter, you can add white paint to soften the shade. Mix in small quantities of white at a time so that you don't overdo it. Test your shade continually until you find the perfect hue.
Can you lighten exterior paint?
Lightening your own paint color is a cost-effective way to paint larger areas of your home for both interior and exterior applications. ... These are available at any hardware store or department store that sells paint. They are free to take and you can use them to get an idea of the color of paint you want.
What do I do if my paint is too dark?
Try any of numerous techniques to lightly cover the too-dark paint:
- Sponge on a lighter shade sparingly so the undercoat shows through.
- Slather on a coat of color-wash – use a slightly diluted top coat of a lighter color, a tinted glaze or a lot of picking up of the top color with a clean cloth as you paint.
Can I paint a lighter shade over a darker shade?
Usually, you can get away with one coat of primer. But when it comes to painting over a dark color with a lighter one, two coats of primer(literally) put an extra layer between the colors and reduce the chances that the dark color will bleed through. (Fun fact: Red is usually the most difficult shade to cover up.